[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:23:35 +0000

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 04:21:23 +0100, Urs Heckmann wrote:
> > When you have normalized parameters corresponding to
> > physical or musical data, it would be useful for the
> > host to have a hint to convert them to "natural"
> > values and to classify them by units. I.e. you can
> > set in Hz or pitch a plug-in parameter expressed in
> > seconds (makes comb filter from a delay).
> >

> Why bother with normalized parameters then?

Agreed.

> In AU world you specify name, min, max, default value, entity (indexed,
> dB, Hz whatsoever) and some flags like "Hi res", "Writable", "Readable"
> etc. for a parameter plus (optionally) value strings and everything is
> clear to the plug and it's outside environment.

This is basicly what we have in LADSPA too, it works well.

One possible difference is that in LADSPA the plugin is required to accept
(but not necceserily do anything useful with) controls of any value. This
removes the burdon from the host of clamping controls transmitted between
plugins and has other, more subtle benefits.