[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:48:30 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 4:07 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Requirements

> > it works for who !!! i want to hear that from a sound ingeneer working
with
> > VST's, i want to hear that he prefer install plug-in by copying in a
special
> > folder , and that he don't care to have an installation software.
>
> It works for all the people I know.

and me, i don't know professionnals working with VST's who would appreciate
to be obliged to copy DLL in the good folder(s)... the first reaction would
be to call to ask me what is a DLL ! :-) DLL, copy file in good folder ,
installation stuff is for programmeur not for users.

>  I don't like install software, mostly,
> because I don't know what it is going to do, and more often than not, it
> doesn't clean itself up properly on uninstall.  Nothing here stops you
from
> providing an installer if you think that makes your plugins better.

i'm sorry, but the installation process can be very complicated. install a
plug-in by copy it in a folder means :
- the user can replace all or part of files from other company by new one
from other company.
- the user must have an access to a disk explorer (this can be not the case
on dedicated audio platform in the future).
- the user has to be aware about how to install plug-in, where to install
it, and he must have access to this folder.

again, this is not in the abilities of the user to do that. this sounds no
professionnal.

> > > outside of GMPI.  The *simplest* GMPI install process is to copy the
file
> > > into a directory.
> >
> > and if the plug-in requiered further external files or complicated
structure
> > of
> > folders for its database...
>
> 2 answers.
>
> 1) We already put down that plugins bundle all their files into 1 file.
> 2) If it is too complicated for a user to get right, provide an installer.
> Call it competitive edge.

ok, how the installer will know where to install files ? does it be possible
to create sub-directories... How the plug-in list is made and how the host
will know that a new  plug-in has been installed !?

> I don't see why you're flipping out over this.

because it's typically an idiot idea from developper to let the user install
plug-in manually. this is not a solution for professional who buy a plug-in
100, 200 , 500 bucks or more and read in the installation page : "DO IT
YOURSELF" !!!!!!! :-)) what is that !? "i have to copy a what file in what
directory !? where !? how !? 500 bucks for that ! ?"

>  You can do an installer if
> you like.  You can do registry crap if you like.  Nothing stops you from
> making your plugins only work on Windows.  We're TRYING to help you be
able
> to port to other platforms more easily.

easy reply from you. Don't count on me to don't think about the client and
some obvious commercial aspect. if since the beginning there is possibility
to bore the client with question that he doesn't care, if since the
beginning since the installation, there is possibility to corrupt the system
by letting the client doing mystake ... Then don't count on me to stop
talking.

> You're free to go abov and beyond the GMPI spec in any way you like.   We
> just can't require everyone to work the way you think is right.

ask to people who sell plug-in if i'm wrong.
VB