[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:20:33 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 5:05 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Requirements

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 08:48:30PM +0100, Vincent Burel wrote:
> > and me, i don't know professionnals working with VST's who would
appreciate
> > to be obliged to copy DLL in the good folder(s)... the first reaction
would
> > be to call to ask me what is a DLL ! :-) DLL, copy file in good folder ,
> > installation stuff is for programmeur not for users.
>
> Then they don't ownload a whole lot of VST plugins.
>
> > again, this is not in the abilities of the user to do that. this sounds
no
> > professionnal.
>
> So write an installer - the requirement is that we don't REQUIRE an
> installer.
>
> > ok, how the installer will know where to install files ? does it be
possible

> Ask the user, look in the PLUGIN_PATH, look in the registry.  It's got to
> come from SOMEWHERE.
>
> > to create sub-directories... How the plug-in list is made and how the
host
> > will know that a new  plug-in has been installed !?
>
> Sub-directories are already specified - it's a recursive scan, so yes.  As
> for the host - that's your host's problem

> > because it's typically an idiot idea from developper to let the user
install
> > plug-in manually. this is not a solution for professional who buy a
plug-in
> > 100, 200 , 500 bucks or more and read in the installation page : "DO IT
> > YOURSELF" !!!!!!! :-)) what is that !? "i have to copy a what file in
what
> > directory !? where !? how !? 500 bucks for that ! ?"
>
> SO WRITE THE INSTALLER.  For Christ's sake.  I've said that a half dozen
> times.  We can't require an installer.  We can't require the registry.  We
> can't require admin access.  You can mandate any of those things in your
> install process.  But it leaves me free to copy files if I want to.

the installer is not a problem for me, i've already mine, the problem is
still the potential trouble due to a bad organization and potential user
manipulations errors. Where is the warranty that any user will delete my
already installed plug-in during copying other DLL on mine or delete mine by
mystake or whatever... since all can be in the same directory and since the
user will be authorized to modify this kind of folder !? and again what's
happening if the station does not allow the user to manage file system
directely. The problem is more here.

VB