[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:52:17 +0100

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 07.43, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > > So far, a few possible schemes have been suggested.  The data
> > > can be completely under the control of the host and simply a
> > > snapshot of parameter values.
> >
> > I prefer this way.
>
> I have to voice my position as generally agreeing with this model.
> However, I am really ambivalent, wrt plugin-exports-guts models.

For the XAP discussion, I think it's about prototyping time for this
one. It's not totally obvious what the alternatives mean in actual
code, and we might have missed some non-obvious issues.

> Either the host reads all the data and stores it, or the plugin
> exports a chunk of data.  Never the twain shall meet.

That's why I like "raw data" controls. They're basically the missing
link between these two approaches. Anything that doesn't make sense
as standard controls goes into a raw data control.

> I don't think it is _JUST_ GUIs that deal with presets.
> Auto-generated GUI or non-GUI systems also can load/save presets.

Sure, but dealing with the data and *editing* are two different
things. Only custom editors can edit raw data controls.
Auto-generated GUIs can't touch them, but hosts can store and
retrieve them to/from presets.

> We've been saying that in XAP, controls are not directly readable.
> I'm starting to disagree with that position.

It could be handy, but it's not strictly required, and would add
another required interface to plugins. The cost is probably not big,
but it's still something that impacts every plugin to make life a
little easier for hosts.