[gmpi] Re: Requirements

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:43:15 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 3:07 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Requirements

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 02:59:02PM +0100, Vincent Burel wrote:
> You have fun with that.  The GOAL of GMPI is to allow it to be
> cross-platform.  Can we solve everytrhing, no.  But if we try, and you
try,
> you can have cross-platform DSP code.  UI is another issue.
>
> > no, i'm talking about some restriction in terme of multithreading to
forbid
> > some idea that genius host developper can get. For example Call
> > CreateFx/DestroyFx  in 10 different thread... this has to be forbidden,
if
> > we want to avoid some complicated problem and reliability issue.
>
> We already call that out by saying that plugins are not re-entrant.  Do we
> need more on that?

re-entrance means for me that a method of the object is called (with the
same
THIS pointer) while this same function (withe the same THIS object) is
already at work. AND YES IT MUST BE NON-REANTRANT.

Multithread , means that the same method of two different object can be
called in the same time (or in the same processor - pre-emption - or by two
different processor - true multitask - )

i'm talking about this last case. because typically the processing function
for example will be multithread, but the Create/Destroy/Format no...

> > no, i want a true installation process description, and i don't want to
let
> > the user do what he want by copying DLL or whatever in whatever folder.
This
> > is not in the abilities of the user to install manually their plug-in,
and
> > if it replaces already existing plug-in by another file what will
happend ?
> > (otherwise let me your phone number for the hot-line support :-)
>
> VST already works like this, and it works.

it works for who !!! i want to hear that from a sound ingeneer working with
VST's, i want to hear that he prefer install plug-in by copying in a special
folder , and that he don't care to have an installation software.

> No one but you wants anything
> more complicated, and several people said that they want it to be as
simple
> as copying a file.  You can use whatever installer technology you like,
you
> can require a phone-home, you can require admin privileges and registry
> access and that the use say the magic word, if you like.  That is all
> outside of GMPI.  The *simplest* GMPI install process is to copy the file
> into a directory.

and if the plug-in requiered further external files or complicated structure
of
folders for its database... this is a non -sens, a complete non-sens... why
user would have
ability to install manually their plug-in !?

VB