[gmpi] Re: New Reqs 3.8 - Events

  • From: "Michael Gogins" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:59:50 -0500

Two to the 32nd = 4294967296 / 96000 sample frames per second / 60 seconds /
60 minutes = 12.43 hours, which is not really enough; suppose one does a
Cage or Sorabji length piece?... What if there is a higher sampling rate?...

Therefore I vote for 64 bits.

In this kind of engineering, supposing that quantity or precision x will "be
enough" is almost always incorrect. We need to think through and satisfy
truly extreme cases.

Michael Gogins
gogins at pipeline period com
Irreducible Productions
CsoundVST, an extended version of Csound for programming music and sound
Available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/csound/