[duxuser] Re: specific cases of non-blind-friendliness

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:02:44 -0500 (EST)

George,
Thank you for your kind and detailed response to my first message. I have
just a few more specifics to addto the Pandora's box I opened.
        1. As you know, braille has no foreground or background. Neither
does speech. Every item on every screen has the same appearance to those
of us using screen access devices. Example: lines of asterisks,
parenthesis and other symbology used to offset different sections of
screen for sighted transcribers have to be read by those of us using
screen access. I wish there were a way to hide these symbols (optional of
course).
        2. I would like also to hide the menu bar so that I don't have to
keep reading that either.
        3. I would like a set of hard copy braille menu screens with the
screens described and all options listed with their defaults if any.
Example: I'm clueless as to what results are generated by different items
on the view menu.
        4. I hope this does not enter the area of a new feature, but I
would dearly love a way to translate a document that was done via word
processor leaving the spaces intact. In other words, the same way that we
can choose to compress or not compress skipped lines, I would love to be
able to choose ONLY SOMETIMES to show all countable spaces.
        5. I think the approach of many blind users to document
preparation differs from that of most sighted transcribers. Example: With
the Everest Braille Embosser I can prepare drafts on light paper and
usually do so. By this means I can take in the entire document (or pages
of it). From what you described in an earlier discussion a few months ago,
most transcribers cannot read interpoint braille and therefore prefer to
use the screen as a virtual document. I'd be interested to know how many
others prepare drafts.
Well, I guess I'll stop now. Thanks for your patience. I hope
techno-vision pays well enough to make all this grief worth your while.
Catherine