[ddots-l] Re: Windows 10 and Sonar producer 8.5 with CakeTalk 8.8

  • From: "Steve S" <stevespamer68@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 12:04:45 -0000

The trouble is not to get into the mind set that the latest OS is viable anyway. If you moved to the latest thing everytime it was made available, you would most certainly have a lot of issues.

We can't do that anyway with the screenreaders and a lot of the 3rd party companies need time to make their products stable on the new OS...so what's the point in jumping to something that's going to give you loads of hassle?

This is separate to the age of the software available to you, as the availability of Sonar 8.5 is a big issue...I personally wouldn't want to purchase a product that old, but regarding Windows 7, I'm pretty sure that is easy enough to get hold of, unless you're buying a pre installed PC. Everyone is in the same boat here, and moving to new systems isn't something you do unless there's a good reason to do so.

you say that it's only for advanced users to install Win 7 for example....but remember, dealing with a pro DAW, complex plugs, libraries, access solutions etc etc etc, isn't easy, and niether should it be. So yes, things can get advanced, that's to be expected. Best Steve.

-----Original Message----- From: Marc Lenoir
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 11:36 AM
To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ddots-l] Re: Windows 10 and Sonar producer 8.5 with CakeTalk 8.8

agree. also the Windows side is a problem.

Currently, if you want a legal Windows 7 system, you have to search
yourself for a valid purchasable license and furthermore, find a
computer without any OS to install Win 7 on it.

it's only viable for advanced users.
I know, for a production system, the latest OS is not generally the
best option, but how can you sell a software made for an operating
system that is 6 years old and not officially sold anymore?

Steve. Totally agree with you. We need a hi end DAW solution to replace
Sonar 8.5.3. It's great software however, that won't help current VI
students in education. Further more, DD will eventually run out of Sonar
8.5.3 Producer boxes and who knows what will happen then :-( Think the
issue at Cakewalk is that they are way too busy trying to chase any dollars
they can in order to survive. The crazy thing is that with a little
investment, they could pick up more end users. I have a client over here
who would purchase software like that if it were available. They are aware
that DD can supply a new Sonar 8.5.3 box but understandably don't want to
pay those kind of shipping and related costs for a product that is 5 plus
years out of date.

On 27 October 2015 10:38:04 GMT+00:00, Steve S <stevespamer68@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Yep, totally agree with you Phil. Reaper, at the moment, is a dead end
for any kind of extra development outside of the current main solution,
simply because there is absolutely no support for anything Jaws related
in the Reaper environment.

This could possibly change, as some Sonar users are moving over to
Reaper, due to the latest Sonar being uncertain...and a few of them may
want access to plugs they had previously used in Sonar. Apart from
that, there really isn’t no appetite for anything that isn’t free on
the Reaper platform, probably because of it’s very low cost/free
availability, along with the use of NVDA or a crack version of Jaws..
Of course, this isn’t to say that is the case across the board, but in
the past 2/3 years of making HSC sets available,, 99% of request for
free sets come from Reaper users. I’ve found that users who have
invested in CT or Jaws for example, will invest in a plug and access,
those who don’t invest in such things, find it difficult to make that
jump.

I think it’s a good thing we have Reaper, as it is giving an option to
users who don’t want to invest and just dabble with recording, but we
still need the high end access and tools to keep up with the sighted
user. Best Steve.