[ddots-l] Re: Windows 10 and Sonar producer 8.5 with CakeTalk 8.8

  • From: Phil Muir <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 08:51:28 +0000

Think I have something encouraging to share with regard to this particular
point. Microsoft do care about the music technology end of things. In fact,
one of the guys who heads up a team has incorperated some great new
developments into the OS which improve audio and MIDI drivers. He has a
personal interest in doing this as he uses the OS with music technology
products. Heard a really interesting podcast about this and was greatly
encouraged :-) Further more, he actually gave out his work E-mail address and
is happy to talk to folks about this via E-mail or on Twitter.

Having said all of the above, I don't think anyone at Cakewalk is interested in
working with us on making Sonar accessible which is a shame as they used to
lead the market with accessible DAW software.

On 26 October 2015 01:34:47 GMT+00:00, Mike Tyo <mtyo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I hate to say this, but I don't think Microsoft gives a rip about the
music end of it. As long as you can do things like word processing and
related applications, everything else is way down the list of
priorities. Even their latest and greatest Web browser has to have some
additional coding done to it before it'll be accessible to a screen
reader; hence you have to make Internet Explorer the default browser
when you install Windows 10 - or use your favorite accessible browser,
provided it'll run under Windows 10.

Like I've said in many posts here and elsewhere, I'm not against
progress as long as it's within reason. When you have a slue of changes
that come down all at once, it's a rat race at best trying to catch up
to it. I don't envy specialized third-party developers who are faced
with coming up with reasonable stuff that works.

I should also point out that it's not only Microsoft driving this whole
thing. The gaming industry is a huge factor in pushing the envelope to
the point where the OS will eventually have to be completely
redesigned. That's the nature of the beast, but how do you balance that
with the need to provide a reasonable mechanism for specialized
software and hardware developers to keep up? I've got a few ideas, but
it's going to sway this thread way off topic; and it's going to get
political, which isn't appropriate for this list.

Mike