[audacity4blind] Re: Labels

  • From: Gary Campbell <campg2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 20:09:53 -0700

In the Verbosity Settings of the Settings Center "Control Descriptions" is not checked. I don't know what this is, but I have an uneasy feeling that it is not the MSAA (IAccessible) description attribute. I'm not sure why I feel that way-- maybe I saw it before the time that MSAA stuff was well-integrated with the info gotten from the Windows API. There is another thing called Control Attributes that I think derives from the Windows API and somehow I feel like they are from the same time frame. I wish the description of the output type in the manual were better. This may just be deep-seated paranoya that comes from working in Murphy space (a kind of space often found in R&D labs in which Murphy's laws predominate, and in fact are greatly extended :-)).

Gary

On 12/2/2014 2:51 AM, David Bailes wrote:
Hi Robert,

I'm puzzled about your experience of Jaws reading the description by default. I had a look around
Jaws's verbosity settings and found the item "Control description" in a list of things to
be spoken. This does control the description we are talking about. However, for all of beginner,
intermediate, and advanced verbosity settings, "control description" is not checked by
default.

Could another user of Jaws who is familiar with it's verbosity settings confirm
this is the case?

David.

On Monday, 1 December 2014, 16:16, Robert Hänggi <aarjay.robert@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Robert,
just to comment on moving some of the extra info from helptext to
description. Jaws and Window-eyes don't automatically read out the
description - in fact I don't know how to get them to read out the
description. If you want the extra information to be automatically read out,
I think you'd have to include it in the name,

David.

I just tested with Jaws 16.0.
It reads the description correctly and automatically and with the
factory settings.
I cannot say what windowEyes does since I never used it.
Supernova reads the whole content of the track panel inclusive time
and range (e.g. -1 to 1).However, it allows scripting as well.

Robert