[audacity4blind] Re: Labels

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 14:40:15 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Robert,
why do you think that a properties dialog would not be helpful. I admit that it
would need additional keystrokes, but it would make available information
available which is not currently available.
The problem of putting info in the help text is that it's going to cause
verbosity problems for people using screen readers other than nvda, so I'm
still not convinced that it's the best way of conveying the information. If
nvda were the only screen reader, it might be a different story.

David.

On Monday, 17 November 2014, 20:21, Robert Hänggi <aarjay.robert@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hi Robert,
> yes, I do build Audacity from source, as do at least a couple of others on
> the list.
>
> I'll reply to other points shortly, but this is just about helptext.
> Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be very usable to do this. If you
> include helptext, then by default jaws says "insert f1 help" after reading
> the name of the control, and this can get really annoying. You can switch it
> off either by changing the verbosity level to intermediate of advanced, or
> by setting smart help to off in the beginner verbosity settings. But I don't
> think that a user, especially a beginner should have to do this. As a far
> more minor issue, narrator on window 8 reads out the help text, and I don't
> know of any way of switching it off. Not sure how voiceover handles help
> text on the mac.
> So mainly do the Jaws's behaviour, I don't think that help text if a useful
> route to go down.
> As an alternative, perhaps a track could have a properties dialog?
>
> thanks for all you suggestions,
> David.

Hi David

I'll attach the patch anyway.
I believe that a property dialog isn't helpful either.

I have the principle that all that is available to normal users with a
single glance should also be available to us with a single key stroke
or even automatically.
The first line of the helptext string can as well be added to the
normal name string itself.
We can reduce the information overload by removing values that are
common to the project settings.
Thus, 44100 Hz and 32-bit float would never be displayed if the
project has those values as default.
We can also omit stereo, as it is probably the most common track type
and there would be displayed Mono".
Actually, "Left" and "Right" are already reported with the patch
applied, I find that extremely useful after a "Split Stereo" to
discriminate the two channels that do normally share a single name.

The word "Label Track" could be replaced by the first line of the
helptext for label tracks.
E.g. "No Labels defined" etc.

Robert