[audacity4blind] Re: Labels

  • From: Robert Hänggi <aarjay.robert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 10:20:42 +0100

Hi David,

I could not yet bring myself to write down my wishlist for the label editor.
I'm currently more concerned with an improvement in the Track view.

I've written some additions to the source code of the Track Panel
accessibility interface (TrackPanelAx.cpp of the current Audacity
head).
Do you (or anyone on that list) build Audacity from source code yourself?

The improvements are:

The current Track name has <Name> {Mute On} {Solo On} {Select on} {Sync Lock On}
New is that the type is following the name, unless it is a audio track:
- Time Track
- Note Track
- Label Track {Edit On}
The last entry appears for the case that we are in a label text box.

Each Track has those properties by default:
- Name (and all mentioned above goes here)
- Value (e.g. 44100 Hz for the project rate, none for a track)
- Role ("Table" for the track view and "Row" for a track)
- State (focusable, selectable, focused, selected)
- Description (none)
- Default Action (none, should probably be "Select")
- Helptext (none)

I ran a test with NVDA and value and description are read out
automatically but not the helptext.

Thus, I put some optional information in it:
An audio Track holds mono/stereo information, samplerate and -format.
+ track overall start and stop time (the points that can be reached
with 'j' and 'k') in a second line

For a label track, the first line holds the number of defined labels
and the second line the labels themselves.

It is clear that the additional information needs a special script or
modul to be spoken by the screen reader.

My Audacity modul does the following with it:

NVDA-left: Start time (selection
NVDA-right: end time (selection)
NVDA-delete: Audio position during playback
NVDA-space: first line of the help text
NVDA-space (fast,twice): second line

Furthermore:
NVDA-h: Quick Help (lists all defined gestures)
Page down/up move three tracks at once
Control-home/end go to first/last (works not yet properly)

Tab and shift-Tab: On Label Track, movement without edit mode.
Control-(shift)-Tab: Play next (previous) label

The Applications key opens the drop down menu (and speaks that) for a
track and focuses on the first item ("Name")
This works also for the selection boxes (without announcing "Context menu")
----

The big question is now what the other screen readers do with the
helptext - do they speak it automatically? This would be a bad thing
imo. Especially when lots of labels are defined.

Please let me know if your interested and willing enough to try it out
and to search for bugs (I am no programmer, you know)

Regards

Robert