[TN-Bird] Standifer Gap Marsh

  • From: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <SEFC-Birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:36:55 -0000

Standifer Gap Marsh, Chattanooga, Hamilton County, TN July 5, 2004
LEAST BITTERN:  The nest with 4 eggs, which I thought was probably abandoned,
because I never saw or heard an adult around, had one egg and 3 downy young
today, eyes not open yet.

The nest with one egg July 2 had two today and attentive adults nearby.

At the nest which had 4 young I found one young about 5 ft from the nest,
concerned adult nearby.  Other young could also have been near, but they are
very hard to see, invisible except for the eye.

Adults active near another new empty nest.

Found an older (last year?) nest 50 feet from the boat incline on the gravel
road.  Flushed 2 Least Bitterns about 50 ft farther on.

VIRGINIA RAIL:  Correction?  The nest which had 9 eggs June 29 and 8 eggs July
2 had 9 eggs today.  It's hard to think I missed one July 2; either that or the
mother discarded or lost one egg before laying the last one.  Adult(s) active
near nest.

BLUE-WINGED TEAL:  Flushed 7 all told; they are flying very well now.

GREAT EGRET,  one

YELLOW WARBLER:  not today, but June 29, forgot to report it.

David Patterson