[TN-Bird] Standifer Gap Marsh

  • From: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "sefc" <SEFC-Birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:24:08 -0400

Standifer Gap Marsh, Chattanooga, Hamilton County, TN
April 3, 2005
Canada Goose: Two adults and 5-6 small yellow young near nest first sighted
March 25 with 6 eggs and sitting female.  Four empty shells, a few shell pieces
and a few dozen down feathers on nest.

Virginia Rail: Heard 4 or more, flushed 4 or more others (at least 8
individuals)

Sora: Heard 2 to 3, Soras and Virginia Rails responded to recording of King
Rail, but no King Rail

Sandhill Crane: 3 feeding in grass near pond in lawn, hour later flew away NNE

American Golden Plover: One, on grass and muddy edge of gravel parking lot.
Adult non-breeding plumage except beginning to show white vertical stripe on
neck, no black face or belly, noticable dark cap, white eye-stripe extended
across face above beak

Eastern Kingbird: One (my request for a King Rail must have been misunderstood,
but these are also delightful)

Herptiles: This marsh would be heaven for anyone interested in Reptiles and
Amphibians.

Turtle: Last fall I found about 50 turtle shells along the west bank, north of
the beaver dam.  They were various sizes, lengths 5 inches to 9 or more,
appeared to be same species (Red-eared?, soft parts rotten).  There are some
newer ones there now, along with remains from last fall.

Snapping Turtle:  See one every now and then, some rather large.  Recently one
stuck up its head, which appeard to be 3 inches wide and 2 inches thick!

Water Snake: Frequently see a large, sluggish, fat, dusky brown snake
resembling Diamond-backed Water Snake in my old field guide.  I found one which
apparently died trying to swallow a 1-quart bullfrog.  Last visit I saw one
under water in front of me and poked it to see if it was alive; it slowly moved
down into the mud.

Frogs: Warm late spring evenings after sundown the marsh sounds like a traffic
jam at a bus station, at least 4 distinct calls, very loud.  Highly recommended
for nature lovers.

David Patterson