[TN-Bird] Standifer Gap Marsh

  • From: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:29:51 -0000

Standifer Gap Marsh,  Chattanooga
January 30, 2003

Pied-billed Grebe   2
American Black Duck   7
Gadwall  12 m  2 f
Canada Goose  41*
Mallard  12
Northern Pintail  1 m  1 f         my 1st at SG Marsh
Green-winged Teal  2 m  1 f     my 1st at SG Marsh

Cooper's Hawk  2
American Kestrel  1
Black (1) and Turkey Vultures

Virginia Rail   300 ft nw of small church, in cattails **

Sandhill Crane   2  flying north over marsh

Sedge Wren   two quick glances and some characteristic chattering    300 ft nw
of small church, near cattails

* Two of the Canada Geese were separate from the others, on a mound of
cattails, one standing and one sitting, the entire 2 hours I was there, looking
as if they were getting the nesting urge.  The mound was 2 feet above the water
and 3-4 ft in diameter, composed entirely of broken-off cattails, 75 ft south
of the gravel road.  There was another mound 50 ft south of the road,
unoccupied.

** A weird little bird is Virginia, the rail,
   Her beak is twice as long as her tail,
        Too short in the wings,
        She laughs when she sings,
   And to think of a last line I fail.