[rollei_list] Re: Lens recommendation

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 13:48:50 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Williams" <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 1:11 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Lens recommendation

At 02:49 PM 8/9/2010, Marc and Richard wrote, more or less:

To confuse the issue, the term "component" is rarely encountered.

I have a somewhat related question. In the olden days there was a company named "Schott". They supplied a wide variety of glass, for
lenses and, I think, for labware and glass tubing.

Now I notice that the glass top of the stove that came with this
house says "Schott- Ceran".

Same company?

DAW

Still in business AFAIK, Schott u. Gneissen. At one time Abbe and Schott. This is the company that developed the first barium glasses that made anastigmat lenses possible. I don't know its current ownership but it was part of the Zeiss combine for a long time and may still be. For a couple of decades after Schott developed the barium glasses the method of producing them remained a Schott proprietary secret. This was broken during WW-1 when the US government made a concerted effort to develop an optical glass industry in the US. Bausch & Lomb had already begun a small optical glass plant but the pressures of war time resulted in the rapid development of a large industry in the US and the production of advanced glass types equal to the German glass.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles