[rollei_list] Re: Lens recommendation

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 21:48:25 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Lehrer" <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2010 5:19 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Lens recommendation

Richard,

The best lenses I ever use for color separation work were the 5 element Kodak Enlarging Ektars.
I dunno if they were apochromats.  They were not cheap!

The great Lenny Zoref used those lenses for his Dye Transfer prints. 16x20 perfection!

Jerry Lehrer

Kodak Enlarging Ektars in 50 and 75mm sizes were "Heilar" types based on the same patent as the lens for the Medallist camera. I don't think they are apochromatic but were very well corrected for lateral color specifically so that they would be good for color enlarging. The 150mm Enlarging Ektar was a four element air spaced "Dyalite" also very well color corrected. I have a couple of Enlarging Ektars and have compared them to my Schneider Componons (older ones). Its hard to see any difference, both are very good lenses.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA