[rollei_list] Re: Lens recommendation

  • From: Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 12:07:39 -0400

I removed the front cell; there was another piece of glass under it; the fungus seemed to be under that. Despite my best effort I have not been able to remove the ring holding the rear cell (element?). The webbing seems to have increased. It looks like the surface of the glass inside is shattered or gone over with rough sand paper.

I'm pretty sure it's a goner.

Elias

On Aug 8, 2010, at 11:10 AM, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

On 08/04/10 13:59, Elias_Roustom wrote:
I was able to remove the front element, but the fungus is behind the
middle element which as you say is sealed, like the fate of the lens I'm
afraid.

What do you mean by the "middle element"? If you removed the front cell, you should be looking at the iris.

So, I looked at one of my EL-Nikkors and since it is not easy to remove just the front element, I presume that you removed the front cell and the fungus is inside it.

To disassemble the front cell, you unscrew the front retaining ring. The problem is that with an EL-Nikkor, it is like a camera Nikkor and there are no notches or holes for a spanner wrench. It is the ring with the lettering on it that you need to unscrew. Camera repair shops have special tools to do this. These are basically a ring of rubber (an inner tube would be good) the right size mounted on a round block the right size -- just slightly smaller than the ID of the filter threads.

--
James Tyrer