[rollei_list] Re: Lens recommendation

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 15:34:12 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "CarlosMFreaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2010 1:55 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Lens recommendation

2010/8/1 Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>:
What is the significance of the APO designation. I see lots of Rodagon
lenses without the APO.

The German standards "D.I.N" definition for an Apochromatic lens is that the lateral chromatic aberrations of the secondary spectrum are reduced to within a minute percentage of the focal length of the lens, it's the main reason several German lenses have the APO designation, some Japanese lenses also use this designation. The DIN definition looks different regarding the traditional Apochromatic definition, basically: "Apochromat: A lens in which light of three colors is brought into common focus", PHOTOGRAPHIC OPTICS by Arthur Cox 15th
edition 1974.
And then if you take the traditional definition, most APO lenses are not Apochromatic, the German lenses like the Apo Rodagon, Apo Sironar and most others "Apo" are Apochromatic according the DIN definition, the DIN definition looks more "tolerant" regarding the traditional definition. Some tests about these DIN Apochromatic lenses show they
are not Apochromatic for the term traditional definition.

Elias, I live within a sub-tropical area and fungus can't develope a web so quickly IMO, perhaps your lens already had little white points
that became web. I read Olympus and Zeiss and Schneider
recommendations to prevent them: Silica Gel, to change the air around your lens often and to allow them to receive the bright sunlight
regularly

Carlos

I had a long argument with Bob Salomon, the agent for Rodenstock, about this. It turns out that the APO lenses are no such thing. They are just well corrected achromats but a badly written DIN standard allowed them to be called Apochromatic. As you state the definition of apochromatic is very well established in optics but has been applied mostly to telescope and microscope objectives. It means a lens which is corrected for longitudinal chromatic aberration for three colors and for spherical aberration at two colors. Usually one wants a lens with minimal lateral chromatic but that is not corrected simutaneously with longitudinal chromatic and is not part of the definition. I can't remember if it is Rodenstock or Schneider that publishes longitudinal chromatic aberration curves but they show clearly that the APO lenses are achromats. An achromatic lens is corrected for longitudinal chromatic aberration at two colors and for spherical at one color. the cuve of the focus vs: wavelength is hump shaped with two zero crossings. An apochromatic lens has an S shaped curve with three zero crossings. In theory its possible to correct a lens for any number of colors, those corrected for more than three are called superachromats, they are quite rare and my lens designer friend Brian Caldwell says it doubts if any genuine apochromatic lenses exist. I don't understand his reasons for this. In the past most apochromatic photographic lenses were made for three-color process work so that the three color plates would all be in focus and of the same size. The latter requires that the lenses be corrected for lateral chromatic. One way to obtain this correction is though symmetry. A symmetrical lens in a completely symmetrical optical system (equal object and image distances or, in other words unity magnification) has automatic correction for the three lateral aberrations, lateral color, coma, and geometrical distortion. For simple dialyte lenses of the Apochromatic Artar type the correction stays pretty good even at infinity focus. Non-symmetrical lenses, such as the retrofocus lenses common on SLRs can also be corrected for lateral color but they are much harder to design. My understanding is that the DIN standard was re-written to preclude the naming of achromats apochromatic but I am not sure of this and the practice continues. Even though some of these lenses my be exceptionally well corrected with minimum color focus deviation, they are still not apochromatic lenses and calling them that is IMO fraud. BTW, Kingslake points out that a well designed achromat may have smaller deviation between its corrected points than a poor apochromat. Being an apochromatic lens is, by itself, no gurantee of quality.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA