[rollei_list] Re: Lens recommendation

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 23:16:58 -0300

2010/8/1 Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>    I had a long argument with Bob Salomon, the agent for Rodenstock, about
> this. It turns out that the APO lenses are no such thing. They are just well
> corrected achromats but a badly written DIN standard allowed them to be
> called Apochromatic. As you state the definition of apochromatic is very
> well established in optics but has been applied mostly to telescope and
> microscope objectives.

I recall I found your argument with BS somewhere during a discussion
about similar topic a few years ago. BS still has the same opinion
according a 2009 post, he thinks the established Apochromatic
definition in optics is for microscopes and telescopes lenses, the DIN
definition is for photographic lenses. I read somewhere that the DIN
definition had a Lenses Manufacturers Association influence, perhaps
they wanted to use the term APO to distinguish some of their best
corrected lenses even if they are out of the traditional definition.
Some LF Schneider lenses are a sample about it, f.e.the
Apo-Tele-Xenar  with different FL, a Schneider brochure says: "
Apochromatic correction and high contrast
make for brilliant long distance photographs without
color fringes, which otherwise are especially clearly
visible at long focal lengths, since the lateral chromatic
aberration without apochromatic correction is
approximately proportional to the focal length."
Schneider says "_since the lateral chromatic aberration without
apochromatic correction is approximately proportional to the focal
length_", this criteria is taken from the DIN standard directly:
http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/foto_e/txr_apo/pdf/large_format_apo_tele_xenar.pdf

During my first darkroom era I finally used Schneider Componon 50mm
and 80mm lenses for a "Casa del Fotógrafo" enlarger made here, I
obtained very good results for B&W. I have now the Componon S 5,6/80
six elements for the Kaiser VP 6000 enlarger made in Germany, I hardly
used it once for a try and the performance looks very promising,
anyway I think to use it for 6x6 B&W only, my color images are for
digital prints and to project slides.
I heard that Meopta Anaret S lenses are cheap and excellent too.