[rollei_list] Re: Lens recommendation

  • From: Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 20:14:26 -0400

Jim, I thought you were going to mercifully end the thought with "and it did not take very long to realize that there's no difference between any of them." Maybe I can send back the stroller and car seat when they arrive and trade up for a APO Componon HM 45mm... anybody have a couch I can sleep on? : )

Nope I'm not in that league. 11x14 is the biggest I'll print for the foreseeable future. I think my Nikkor 2.8 was good for that. There are some Buy Now Rodagons 50/2.8s without the APO for $45 +/- on fleaBay, and some EL Nikkors for the same, and some SK componons for about twice that. I just saw an APO Rodagon 2.8 expire at $110 + shipping. I guess that's cheap...

I'll look into the cleaning option. The Nikkor does not look easy to open. The SK 50 does.

Thanks for the input. This list still Rokkors! (sorry in advance for the lame lens pun)

Elias

On Aug 1, 2010, at 7:29 PM, Jim Brick wrote:

I got my first enlarger at age 12, which was in 1950. Since then I've owned and/or used every enlarging lens known to man. That's only a slight exaggeration! But, after a myriad of Componars, Componons, EL Nikkors, Rodagons, Apo Rodagons, plus Omega, Bessler, Leitz, etc, etc, etc..., a decade ago (maybe less), Schneider had a significant rebate on their Apo Componon HM lenses. So I bought the 40mm, 90mm & 150mm Apo Componon HM lenses. It did not take very long to realize that these lenses were leaps and bounds better than anything I had ever used in the past. My standard print size is 20x24 and I make more Cibachrome prints than any other type of print. These lenses are super sharp, corner-to-corner, with relatively little falloff at the corners. To me, these lenses are soooooo good, I bought a second set for my second enlarger. I'll never look back!

MHO,

Jim

On Aug 1, 2010, at 10:59 AM, Elias_Roustom wrote:

I found my El Nikkor 50mm f2.8 enlarger lens with a web-like growth in it this morning, all over the inner element. A victim of the recent damp hot weather.
My fault for leaving out over the week I suppose.

My ever so slightly hazy Componon 50/f4 back up will have to do for now. But this means I'm shopping for a new enlarger lens.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks,

Elias

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org