[rollei_list] Re: Lens recommendation

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 16:29:52 -0700

I got my first enlarger at age 12, which was in 1950. Since then I've owned and/or used every enlarging lens known to man. That's only a slight exaggeration! But, after a myriad of Componars, Componons, EL Nikkors, Rodagons, Apo Rodagons, plus Omega, Bessler, Leitz, etc, etc, etc..., a decade ago (maybe less), Schneider had a significant rebate on their Apo Componon HM lenses. So I bought the 40mm, 90mm & 150mm Apo Componon HM lenses. It did not take very long to realize that these lenses were leaps and bounds better than anything I had ever used in the past. My standard print size is 20x24 and I make more Cibachrome prints than any other type of print. These lenses are super sharp, corner-to-corner, with relatively little falloff at the corners. To me, these lenses are soooooo good, I bought a second set for my second enlarger. I'll never look back!

MHO,

Jim

On Aug 1, 2010, at 10:59 AM, Elias_Roustom wrote:

I found my El Nikkor 50mm f2.8 enlarger lens with a web-like growth in it this morning, all over the inner element. A victim of the recent damp hot weather.
My fault for leaving out over the week I suppose.

My ever so slightly hazy Componon 50/f4 back up will have to do for now. But this means I'm shopping for a new enlarger lens.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks,

Elias