[rollei_list] Re: Difficult To Load?

  • From: Hauke Fath <hauke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 23:42:35 +0200

At 15:59 Uhr -0400 1.8.2010, Marc James Small wrote:
> >One thing that will let me try a pre-war spool, though, is the jagged image
> >position - it looks like the post-war spool has an offset in height
> >compared to the film cartridge.
>
>I have a Prewar and Postwar take-up spool before
>me now and there is no difference in height, just in construction.

That piece of bad news made me whip out the caliphers... I have a
(supposedly) pre-war Zeiss IKON Contax spool here (Aluminium), a post-war
one (plastic), and a Kiev one (Aluminium).

(You'll want a non-proportional font here)

       |                    |
       |                    |
  ==========================.
  ==========================.
  ==========================.
       |                    |
       |                    |

  |    |                    |
  a    b                    c

Sizes for the three spools (+- 0.05 mm):

                pre-war Contax  post-war Contax  Kiev
a-c             46.4            46.5             45.0
b-c inside      35.3            35.2             35.0
b-c outside     36.8            37.2             36.8
b/c thickness    0.8             1.1              0.9

Since all three spools have some lateral space left in the Contax IIa I
have here, the 0.3 mm difference between the ZI spools shouldn't make a
visible difference. Then again, it might. I guess I'll have to try that out.

>You would do best to get a Contax cassette to use
>as a take-up spool in any event.  That way, you
>can open the camera in the middle of a roll if
>you want to change film types.

Yep, I could have used that feature once. I actually have four cassettes
here, in various shapes.

What makes them awkward is that the spools they take are different from the
regular takeup spools in that they have a short collar at the top end
(stabilizes the spool as well as light-seals the cassette, I guess). And
the three cassette spools that I have (the fourth came with a regular,
pre-war takeup spool) either have no film slot at all (requiring adhesive
tape), or a small slot in the middle (requiring a cut-to-fit film leader).
Each requires pairing the 135 cartridge with a cassette in advance. Feels a
bit awkward, but again, I'll have to try them out.

        hauke