[rollei_list] Schott Glass

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 18:01:10 -0400

At 04:48 PM 8/9/2010, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>    Still in business AFAIK, Schott u. Gneissen. At one time
>Abbe and Schott. This is the company that developed the
>first barium glasses that made anastigmat lenses possible. I
>don't know its current ownership but it was part of the
>Zeiss combine for a long time and may still be.

I am surprised by the ignorance of Schott on this List, as EVERY Rollei TLR camera yet made has come with Schott glass. Schott is the heavy-hitter in optical glass, and even Hoya makes their glasses to fit the needs of the Schott Catalogue, the industry standard.

The proper firm name is Schott und Genossen, not "Gneissen". That means, "Schott and Partners". There are now two divisions, Schott-Mainz, where most of the optical and industrial glasses are manufactured, and Jenaer Glasswerke, the old Schott-Jena works, which primarily produces consumer glasses. Take a gander at your Primus camping lantern or your German coffee-maker -- the globes and carafes are made by Schott. Those marked Schott were made in Mainz; those made at the Schott plant in Mexico City lack the Schott logo. (Schott makes some of the globes for Coleman lanterns, but most are made by Corning.)

Carl Zeiss founded his optical works in 1846. By 1860, he wanted to convert optical construction from a world of master opticians making individual items to order into a proper industrial enterprise. To that end, he went to the Department of Physics at the University of Jena and had a young physicist, Ernst Abbe, frog-marched, protesting desperately, to help him. Abbe rethought the scientific basis of lens design, on which little work had been done since the death of Fraunhofer, and thus was born modern lens design. Abbe soon realized the need for advanced glass formulae, and he, in turn, recruited Otto Schott to found the Schott und Genossen glassworks at Jena, using those wonderful Czech sands as its base material. Thus was born the magic combination, Zeiss for his production skills, Abbe for his superlative lens designs, and Schott for the glasses necessary for the lenses.

When Zeiss died, Abbe decided to remake the firm into a charitable foundation and got Otto Schott to support him. They hustled Zeiss's son, Rudolph, into a generous buy-out and then founded the Zeiss Stiftung, a parent foundation dedicated to the furtherance of the German optical industry. The Stiftung has dual offices at Jena and Heidenheim; it owns the Zeiss optical works (Jena and Oberkochen), the Schott glassworks (Mainz and Jena), Zeiss-Winkel, Hensoldt (binoculars), Albert Gauthier (which has absorbed FW Deckel -- they produce Prontor and Deckel shutters), and even a wooden woodworking tool company named Leitz, of all things. There is still a small part of Zeiss Ikon in business, producing slide projectors.

The Schott Catalogue has been the industry standard since the 1930's, and all manufacturers fit their wares into its confines for regular production. In the 1980's, Schott hired Hoya to produce under license the more mundane Schott glasses but the more exotic blends still come from Mainz. Every Zeiss lens since 1880 and every Scheinder lens ever made has been made from Schott glasses. But, why not? Schott is the best.

I had some coddled eggs the other day. Naturlich, I used eine Jenaer Glasswerke eierkoch. But, again, why not? Why settle for second best?

The entire history is terribly complex: Zeiss planned a three-volume history of the Foundation but only got as far as volume one, and the two-volume history of Hensoldt also stalled at volume one.

But, Richard, whenever you take a shot with your Rolleiflex TLR, just give a brief acknowledge to Schott und Genossen, who made every bit of glass in the camera.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!