[rollei_list] Re: Schott Glass

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 01:45:06 -0400

At 07:55 PM 8/9/2010, CarlosMFreaza wrote:

>           Since you wrote about the ignorance of Schott on this List,
>I must say some of this list members and former members had an intense
>thread about Schott and Zeiss and Rollei and Hoya and Ohara in 2006, I
>believed it was on this list but it happened in other forum, I even
>obtained an answer from Prochnow for one of the issues in discussion,
>the thread and some of the messages are so large I couldn't copy them
>here, these are some samples:

Carlos

Not to argue with you over your fine answer, but these glasses from "other suppliers" were glasses supplied under the Schott Catalogue. Schott publishes an annual guide to its optical glasses, listing the basic performance. For some decades, Schott has farmed out the more routine glasses to other manufacturers such as Hoya, and those ordering such glasses from Schott will have the orders filled by Hoya lens blanks. We had a nice discussion of this over on the Leica Users' Group some years back, when the LUG was still film-oriented. None of this means that a Hoya-supplied glass is not a Schott glass: it is a glass made under license by Hoya to Schott specifications. Such was the case with Rollei Singapore: I suspect that all of the optical glasses used there came from Oriental sources, primarily Hoya, with a few other glassworks, working to Schott specifications, included as well.

I am uncertain why you added the piece on the production of lenses at Braunschweig. No one on this List has denied that Rollei makes lenses and that it has done so since at least 1973. Any lens marked "Carl Zeiss HFT Germany" is a Rolleiflex product made in Braunschweig, under license from Zeiss at Oberkochen.

One of the reasons that Zeiss has restricted production of the exotics to Oberkochen is the need for exotic glasses in these exotic lenses, and those are all supplied by Schott-Mainz.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!