[pythian] Re: DESIGN - Experience

  • From: Mike Dude <at_the_drive-in@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 15:33:21 -0500 (CDT)

About the choosing which "direction" the player wants to take, I have an idea..

  Let's say the player wants to become a Necromancer. He raises his "Magic"
(this is just an example) skill to.. let's say 66 (get it?:p). Now in order for
him to become a Necromancer, he has to have -1000 karma (or something similar..
we can use reputation). If the player has at least 66 "Magic" and at least
-1000 karma, a new skill will appear, called "Necromancy".

I think this appearing of new skills as other skills get raised to certain
levels will be a very fun and interesting thing for our players to play around
with. Another example could be Druid..

  The player has to have 50 "Magic" skill, and has to have a tamed animal level
10 or greater under his command (or you could just do a check on his Taming
skill, if it's high enough to tame a "level 10" (powerful) creature, then..).
If so, the skill "Nature Magic" appears or something similar. This not only
makes sense, but it will pleasantly surprise the player.

Rather than just having all the skills pasted on the screen for everyone to
see, we could have skills that must be "unlocked" by raising a combination of
"Base" (the skills the player starts with and can see from the start) skills,
reputation, karma, or even the possession of an item. For example..

The player must have at least 30 "Archery" and a "Book of Bownmanship". In
order for the skill "Marksman" to appear, the player must Use the book of
Bowmanship, when he/she has at least 30 Archery skill. If he/she doesn't meet
the requirements, the book will not be Used and a message will appear stating
why.. "You are not skilled enough to understand this book." or something
similar. Upon sucessful use, the book dissapears, and the Marksman skill
appears, at 1, or the lowest number.

-Mike