[pythian] Re: DESIGN - Experience

  • From: Bernard Osmond <Bernard.Osmond@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 00:42:58 +1000

hey,

> I think the key is in the golden mean of 2 approaches.
> Yes - maybe reading the book is not rising your skill directly
> (except the
> "reading" skill ;-)),
> but who ever tried to read a book without trying to do something
> from this
> book?
> There are allways some sort of examples in good book - so reader
> should try
> them WHILE READING IT.
> Such a book is much like a teacher. But maybe not so good as
> living one.
>
> So I propose the following benefits of reading:
> - gain some grow of potential
> - skill is increased by some amout (maybe quite a bit)

  i disagree. Reading the book in the game is not the same as practicing
in the game. when you read the book, you gain the "knoledge" in the
book, but are yet to have any "practical" experience. For example : you
could read a book on bar fighting wich tells you _everything_, but a guy
with previous experience will still kick your ass because he's had practice.

  basically what i'm saying is that practice is diffrent to theory. so
for our game, practice should increase your current skill level up to
the max. potential, and then slowly raise both skills at the same time.
where as theroy ( reading books ) should only increase your potential skill.

  - n30n
    [ http://n30n.amok.dk/ ]