[pythian] Re: DESIGN - Experience

  • From: Mike Dude <at_the_drive-in@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 14:33:29 -0500 (CDT)

I think we should go with a system similar to what you stated n30n. Only one
game that I've played has used such an experience system, and I really enjoy it.

The system is pretty simple too.

Any experience the player gets, he may spend on raising stats. These stats cost
very little to raise at first but for every point the player raises that stat,
the cost to raise it another point goes up a bit. Example:

Strength | 10|250|+|

Exp: 300

That tells the player that he currently has 10 strength, and it will cost 250
experience points to raise it by one point. If the player has earned enough
experience, 250 in this case, then a plus sign appears somewhere next to the
stat indicating that it can be raised, clicking on the + sign will increase
that stat by one. The "Exp:" section tells the player how much experience he
can spend on raising stats, there should be another number elsewhere telling
the player how much experience he has total.

Strength | 11|325| |

Exp: 50

The player has raised Strength by one point to 11, and the cost to raise it
further has increased slightly. He no longer has 300 experience to spend on
stats, and he can't afford to raise Strength anymore so no plus sign appears.

I don't think we should represent "levels" by numbers.. it seems kinda boring
and definatley done many times over. The game I took this skill system from,
uses military "ranks" to represent a players level of experience. Perhaps we
could use a similar system.. we also should decide on Stat/Skill limits and
"level" limits, and if there should be any limits at all. IE a player can't
raise his Strength to 1,000 (aka, he can't become god like)

-Mike