[pythian] Re: DESIGN - Experience

  • From: "Andrey Plisko" <andrey.plisko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 16:50:17 +0300

Hi,

> >   i disagree, i think that for every type of skill, reading a book
> > should only increase your your potential in that skill. this
> > just seems
> > more logical.
>
> I was going to argue with you, but I couldn't think of any examples where
> you could read something and instantly be as good at it as you would be
> after practicing it several times.  Therefore, you must be right :)

I think the key is in the golden mean of 2 approaches.
Yes - maybe reading the book is not rising your skill directly (except the
"reading" skill ;-)),
but who ever tried to read a book without trying to do something from this
book?
There are allways some sort of examples in good book - so reader should try
them WHILE READING IT.
Such a book is much like a teacher. But maybe not so good as living one.

So I propose the following benefits of reading:
 - gain some grow of potential
 - skill is increased by some amout (maybe quite a bit)

> >     - minimium skill limit for a book to be read.
> >     - skill proportionality - they can read the book, but because they
> >       dont understand it, they only gain a little but of knoledge from
> >       it
>
> Sure, if the book is so far ahead of your current skill that you can't
> understand, you'll gain less, similarly, if the book is written at your
> current level, you'll gain little.  This suggests there is a
> gaussian curve
> (bell shaped) centered around an "ideal" skill for learning from
> a book, and
> getting smaller if it's far far advanced, or not advanced enough for you.
>
> Sounds good.

Great idea. But this is really good candidate to hide from players.
At least the "gaussian curve" calculation part. ;-)

Andrey.