[pythian] Re: DESIGN - Experience

  • From: Darryl Long <dlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 09:16:49 -0400

>   i disagree, i think that for every type of skill, reading a book
> should only increase your your potential in that skill. this
> just seems
> more logical.

I was going to argue with you, but I couldn't think of any examples where
you could read something and instantly be as good at it as you would be
after practicing it several times.  Therefore, you must be right :)

>     - minimium skill limit for a book to be read.
>     - skill proportionality - they can read the book, but because they
>       dont understand it, they only gain a little but of knoledge from
>       it

Sure, if the book is so far ahead of your current skill that you can't
understand, you'll gain less, similarly, if the book is written at your
current level, you'll gain little.  This suggests there is a gaussian curve
(bell shaped) centered around an "ideal" skill for learning from a book, and
getting smaller if it's far far advanced, or not advanced enough for you.

Sounds good.

Darryl