[pythian] DESIGN - Experience

  • From: Bernard Osmond <Bernard.Osmond@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 00:42:23 +1000

hey,

  relativley soon ( we hope ), we will be moving onto the real meaty
chunks of phase 2 -- the multiplayer part. This will give us quite a lot
of time to try out things that we will need a solid interface for in the
MMORPG. Things like player killing, item trading, and experience gathering.

  At the moment, i'd like to concentrate on experience. there are severl
diffrent ways in wich we can deal with experience and it's pretty much
impossible to list them all.

  So i'd like to hear some ideas about experience gathering / leveling
up from anyone who is intrested.

  Research would be good, and a nice easy way to get some research done
is to get yourself a MUD or any of their derivatives because there are
literally thousands out there and the vast majority are free. Basically
they have done all the hard work for us, we can steal their ideas and
take out the bad bits & add in new and better bits.

  to get us started, i joined a mud based on the discworld series by
terry pratchett. Experience is gathered just by being connected to the
server, when you have enough experience you can 'spend' it on skills,
which i think is better than "leveling up".

  this system allows for a more diversified tree of player development,
for example a low level mage may only be able to research low level
things in general ie - combat spells, but a highly developed mage can
research specific sthings like "animate dead" in the necromancy skill
tree. this will mean that we need to have a fairly deitailed advancement
tree, and would break a lot of barriers in guild / race specificness. we
could alter this with limits and other things.

  i'll contine on this path of discovery tommorrow, when i'm not so
tired and dead, so in the meantime post comments / questions and your
own ideas. lets get a proper discussion going here people !

  - n30n
    [ http://n30n.amok.dk/ ]