-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computer Woes

  • From: "Sylvia" <sylviam@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:10:56 -0600

Yes, right after I discovered that I had a problem I did run it and there
were a few files that were possibly corrupt and it was recommended that I
replace them. I never have figured out how to do that from the W98 CD, so I
cheated and found each of them on the computer I am using for now; I put
them on a diskette and installed them on my computer. We are both running
the same OS, so I figured it would be OK.

I just ran it again and of course, it found no problems.

After I did that, I ran the Version Conflict utility and since I reinstalled
W98 I now have 68 files that it says replace newer versions. I am very
tempted to recover the newer files. Would that be bad or good to do?

I think I will start burning backup CDs of the stuff I don't want to lose
forever, I am unsure at this point if this whole thing can actually be
resolved. Sniff, sniff...

If I ever get out of this mess I am going to force myself to keep a log of
what & when I install or uninstall. Something tells me that one of the
little things I put on my computer and then uninstalled might have messed up
some settings or blocked something.

I really truly do thank you all for trying to help! .

USA-Sylvia