-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computer Woes

  • From: "Sylvia" <sylviam@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PC Tech Talk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:03:40 -0600

Hi Rick, yes I have checked the settings in DUN, I know all the settings for
my ISP and I will double/triple check those again. It is POP mail.

You asked if I get any message onscreen when I attempt to connect to the
net. Yes, I do. When I am apparently connected to my ISP, with IE6 open if I
click on any hot link, the progress bar at the bottom tries to move very
slowly and if I let it continue it eventually gives me the message that the
"page cannot be displayed". It doesn't matter what page/site I try to go to.

I tried using my ftp program which uses a different port, which I didn't
know until Troth told me so :) and it won't work either. It
gives the message:

WINSOCK.DLL: Microsoft wsock32.dll, ver2.2, 32bit of Apr 28 1998, at
19:33:24.
WS_FTP Pro 6.60 2000.09.20, Copyright © 1992-2000 Ipswitch, Inc.
- -
- -
! Failed "createsocket": - Blocking operation in progress
! Connection failed ftp1.ipswitch.com
! Can't get "ftp.ipswitch.com" host entry
! Connection failed ftp.ipswitch.com

I don't know what the "blocking operation in progress means.

BTW, I have dumped my TIF (temporary internet files) also as well as my
Windows/Temp files.

And just so you know, when I try to access my email (OE6) it gives me a
message:

"The host 'pop1.trib.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have
entered the server name correctly. Account: 'The Mail Room', Server:
'pop1.trib.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error:
11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

I also use Mail Washer (which is such a great program that I paid the man
for it!) and it says "No such host. Ensure that the POP3 server is correct."

You also asked if I had tried my ISP's Help Desk. If that means the same
thing as their tech support, then yes. We spent a delightful 2 hours going
over things to no avail.

Thanks for trying to help, Rick,

USA-Sylvia