[opendtv] Re: OTA

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 11:45:09 -0500

 If you think that broadcast TV is going to experience a
 renaissance with the existing ATSC standard, you are living
 in another world. But there is hope that they will get the
 next standard right.

It must really bug you how Antennas Direct can't get enough OTA antennas out there, eh?

If there really was a huge market for these antennas they would invest in their supply chain. The numbers we are talking about are in the single digit percentage of U.S. homes.

Would you build a new antenna factory, knowing that the current standard is going to be replaced with a technology that will not need outdoor antennas?

I think that OTA TV *has* experienced a bit of a renaissance, mainly because it works so well in combination with Internet TV. It fills in the live TV function, that Internet TV does not yet do much of (in the US), which is why there's this cord cutting phenomenon going on.

Clearly the standard can work quite well for those who choose not to subscribe to a multi-channel service. Given the current economy, I would expect to see more people using antennas. And as more content (not available via broadcast DTV - becomes available via the Internet we may see more people cut the cord.

Then again, somebody may just figure out how to get the congloms to play ball and offer a viable alternative to broadcast and MVPD distribution.

And as an aside, I probably do most of my ATSC TV watching these days on subchannels. Why? Because I'm finding myself using the Internet for most "prime time" material, on demand, and I'm finding myself using movie stations, or 24 hour news and weather, from the DTV subchannels. All of which were not available before, with analog TV.

A wonderful case of rationalization by someone who has long questioned why anyone would look at "all that stuff" on cable...

;-)