[opendtv] Re: OTA

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 20:11:02 -0600

Dan Grimes wrote:

> But the fact that the only way to get reliable reception
> is to have an outdoor antenna with direct line-of-site to
> the transmitter certainly limits the circumstances

For the record, neither Mark Schubin, nor I, have direct line of site to any of
the towers.

In my case, the antenna, as I said earlier, is in a fireplace at ground level,
and there are houses and trees all around, including a house at the next
address over from ours, just yards away, exactly in the path to the local DC
transmitters.

AND we live in a valley.

So there's no way that LOS is possible, unless I misunderstand what LOS means.
I don't know why others have such a big problem, so I have to assume it is not
due to the propagation path, but more to front end overload, IM3 distortion, or
other such effects, that decent receiver design would solve.