[opendtv] Re: OTA

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 08:50:52 -0500

Anyway, all I'm really saying is, DTV did a whole lot more than just retain spectrum for the broadcasters, as Craig says. It changed OTA TV for the better.

And the Model T Ford was better than a horse and buggy...

DTV was certainly an improvement in many ways, but there were far too many compromises, which predictably caused the standard to become outdated very quickly. Several people have noted that the ATSC standard was not designed for indoor reception it did not support mobile reception. The standard had to be amended to implement a rather crude and inefficient solution that is not being widely supported by broadcasters or receiver manufacturers.

All this for a communications service for which its major competitive advantage is the ability to reach mobile and portable receivers.

Thus we are ALREADY faced with the need to replace this antiquated broadcast standard.

Consumer expectations have changed with respect to the devices they can use to watch TV content. People DO NOT want to step outdoors, or hook a cable up to an iPad to watch TV.

Speaking of which...

The 3rd generation iPad has 3.1 million pixels, and a 5 mpixel camera that can record 1080P video at up to 30 frames per second; it even has video stabilization. It can stream this video and other TV content to the new Apple TV which also supports 1080P - note that all HD movies and TV shows are now available in 1080P from the iTunes store.

And it is the first iOS device to support 4G radios including LTE. But there is one very disturbing aspect of the LTE support - the AT&T and Verizon implementations are different and Apple is building two different versions of the iPad to support these carriers.

I thought LTE was supposed to unify the U.S. mobile broadband industry.

I guess I was wrong.