[opendtv] Re: OTA

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:40:40 -0500

And ATSC M/H is ALREADY deployed, compatible with ATSC. Meaning, your "already outdated" comment is already outdated.

Sorry Bert, but MH is not a viable mobile standard. It is inefficient; it is not supported with viable receivers, and it will never be supported by todays mobile devices.

 Consumer expectations have changed with respect to the devices they
 can use to watch TV content. People DO NOT want to step outdoors,

Those systems rely on a cabled broadband connection to the home, then wireless from an internal router. They work perfectly well with the existing ATSC remaining as is. Local broadcasters already have their web sites set up.

FOTFL

Those systems are what tens of millions of people are using.

And the new 4G devices can connect almost anywhere. Apple demonstrated 1080P downloading to the new iPAD faster than real time. This is the standard that broadcasters are going to be competing with.

Hey, I'm not claiming here that two-way wireless is unnecessary with ATSC. I'm simply saying, these are two different connection media, for two different purposes.

I have no problem with this view. The problem is that the ATSC needs to create a "compatible standard" that WILL be supported by the next generation of mobile devices.

 I thought LTE was supposed to unify the U.S. mobile broadband
 industry.

 I guess I was wrong.

Welcome to reality, Craig. Why is it that the trade press is so quick to latch on to the new buzzword in town, assuming at the outset that it would "change everything" from what was happening in the past? Only to have reality whack them square in the face, every single time?

Well you can't blame Apple for this one. Have you looked at all of the mobile standards being used in China. This is what happens when oligopolies are allowed to control valuabloe spectrum resources.