[opendtv] Re: OTA

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 03:03:55 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

Did I mention that in analog TV days, I got only 3 channels "well,"
and the remaining 8 ghosty? And now I get 37 channels "perfectly,"
of which 11 are HDTV?

Congratulations, that is excellent and it is clear that current ATSC
receivers can work well in moderate RF conditions. Are you using an
integrated receiver and do you believe that relocating your current
system to Marks apartment could achieve suitable results?

Oh, and I didn't add that my previous analog reception required an outdoor antenna, or the vast majority of channels would be very poor. Whereas now I'm using two of those Antennas Direct quad stacked dipoles inside the fireplace, 90 degrees apart and mixed together.

The two receivers are integrated -- one in my LG HDTV, the other in my Philips/Funai PVR/DVDR. Both of them seem to provide the same reception performance., although they do behave differently when you're surfing the channels. I'm saying, I very much doubt they use the same tuner/demod.

Would they work in Mark's apartment? Don't know, but I doubt they would work as well as the cold fusion LG. I think LG opened all the stops on that one. They would probably get "suitable" results, if "suitable" means you don't insist on the antenna being fixed to the TV set per se.

However, given that third party commercial attempts
were recently made to rectify the NYC reception issue thru
rebroadcasting, I question whether current integrated ATSC
hardware is adequate in such an environment.

Wasn't that third party attempt nothing more than IP over a cell network? That's a whole 'nother ballgame, as far as I'm concerned, and I doubt very much it can be marketed as FOTA.

But then again, aside from Mark's specific case, I've never understood the idea that in order to be considered successful, FOTA TV should be receivable indoors, with antenna attached to TV set, under all circumstances, in an urban environment like NYC. That makes no sense at all to me. Not even my cell phone can achieve that, yet no one claims cell phones don’t work. And show me a single European OTA DTV system that provides such service throughout urban market areas.