[opendtv] Re: OTA

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 14:56:45 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Several people have noted that the ATSC standard was not designed
> for indoor reception it did not support mobile reception.

Same applies to all of the DVB-T systems deployed in Europe, that I'm familiar
with. They all use a 10 meter receive antenna convention to determine coverage,
and none of them is tuned to permit reliable mobile reception (hence DVB-H).

> Thus we are ALREADY faced with the need to replace this antiquated
> broadcast standard.

And ATSC M/H is ALREADY deployed, compatible with ATSC. Meaning, your "already
outdated" comment is already outdated.

> Consumer expectations have changed with respect to the devices they
> can use to watch TV content. People DO NOT want to step outdoors,

Those systems rely on a cabled broadband connection to the home, then wireless
from an internal router. They work perfectly well with the existing ATSC
remaining as is. Local broadcasters already have their web sites set up.

Hey, I'm not claiming here that two-way wireless is unnecessary with ATSC. I'm
simply saying, these are two different connection media, for two different
purposes.

> I thought LTE was supposed to unify the U.S. mobile broadband
> industry.
>
> I guess I was wrong.

Welcome to reality, Craig. Why is it that the trade press is so quick to latch
on to the new buzzword in town, assuming at the outset that it would "change
everything" from what was happening in the past? Only to have reality whack
them square in the face, every single time?