[opendtv] Re: OTA

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 11:38:27 -0500

 Consumer expectations have changed with respect to the devices
 they can use to watch TV content. People DO NOT want to step
 outdoors,

 Those systems rely on a cabled broadband connection to the home,
 then wireless from an internal router.

 FOTFL

 Those systems are what tens of millions of people are using.

You are serious? You don't know how tablets work? Maybe the Kindle Fire is different from the iPad, but it uses WiFi, Craig. Not magic. It uses our own WiFi router, and it does not use 3G or 4G wireless.

Are you serious. Do you know what FOTFL means?

Tens of millions of U.S. homes now have broadband (>30% of U.S. homes) and expect easy wireless connectivity for their PCs and mobile devices. Many of these devices ALSO connect to wireless broadband. To compete with this broadcasters will need an RF system that can do the same.

That is why I was Falling On The Floor Laughing about your defense of ATSC. For the vast majority of Americans ATSC is completely irrelevant. And the M/H standard is not going to change that.

As to 3G at home, it doesn't work from our Verizon service. I in fact do have to walk outside, up a hill for some distance, before I get enough signal for 3G "broadband" wireless. The tower is evidently too far from the edge of our valley to get a decent signal to us, at home.

Oh, but did I mention that ATSC is available with antennas in the fireplace?

I also recognize the limitations of telco wireless with respect to indoor reception. however, this is highly variable and likely to improve as cellular network density increases. I have very poor reception inside the steel cage of the brewery warehouse, but no problems at home.

That said, most new mobile devices are designed to default to a WiFi network when it is available, especially AT HOME, where devices like the iPAD are used extensively.

So I am not saying that wireless broadband is perfect. What I am saying is that broadcasters need a system that works just as well, and preferably using RF chips that work with both broadcast AND wireless broadband networks. And to do this broadcasters must rethink their "networks" moving multi-point networks in urban areas.