[opendtv] Re: OTA

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:00:36 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>>> Consumer expectations have changed with respect to the devices
>>> they can use to watch TV content. People DO NOT want to step
>>> outdoors,
>>
>> Those systems rely on a cabled broadband connection to the home,
>> then wireless from an internal router.

> FOTFL
>
> Those systems are what tens of millions of people are using.

You are serious? You don't know how tablets work? Maybe the Kindle Fire is
different from the iPad, but it uses WiFi, Craig. Not magic. It uses our own
WiFi router, and it does not use 3G or 4G wireless.

As to 3G at home, it doesn't work from our Verizon service. I in fact do have
to walk outside, up a hill for some distance, before I get enough signal for 3G
"broadband" wireless. The tower is evidently too far from the edge of our
valley to get a decent signal to us, at home.

Oh, but did I mention that ATSC is available with antennas in the fireplace?