[opendtv] Re: OTA

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:09:06 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> If you think that broadcast TV is going to experience a
> renaissance with the existing ATSC standard, you are living
> in another world. But there is hope that they will get the
> next standard right.

It must really bug you how Antennas Direct can't get enough OTA antennas out
there, eh?

I think that OTA TV *has* experienced a bit of a renaissance, mainly because it
works so well in combination with Internet TV. It fills in the live TV
function, that Internet TV does not yet do much of (in the US), which is why
there's this cord cutting phenomenon going on.

And as an aside, I probably do most of my ATSC TV watching these days on
subchannels. Why? Because I'm finding myself using the Internet for most "prime
time" material, on demand, and I'm finding myself using movie stations, or 24
hour news and weather, from the DTV subchannels. All of which were not
available before, with analog TV.