[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:34:07 -0400

Barry,

Nobody at ATSC wants to do a head-to-head comparison like Sinclair did in Baltimore in 1999. It would be too embarrassing for the ATSC. The best we get is a comparison of Gen 1 vs. Gen 5 ATSC chipsets and a "see how much better things are now?"

At the 2000 NAB, Sinclair used HM-COFDM to delivered 13.6 Mbps to fixed receivers on the exhibition floor using indoor antennas, and simultaneously delivered 4.5 Mbps to a portable Nokia Mediascreen that worked everywhere in Las Vegas, including in a car traveling at well over the legal highway speed limit, and could only be made to fail when shut inside of a transmitter cabinet.

At the 2007 NAB, A-VSB delivered 14 Mbps to fixed receivers and 500 Kbps to mobile receivers that never broke 25 MPH.

When ATSC, E-VSB, A-VSB, or this new Micronas proposal can deliver seven year old HM-COFDM type of performance, I'll be convinced.

No I won't, because there is still so much flexibility built into DVB-T that ATSC will never catch up. However, the time is well past to even contemplate switching modulations at this point in time. The FCC tuner mandate was the "poison pill" that ensured we will never turn back.

With the spectrum being packed after analog turn-off, I doubt we will even be able to do a simulcast transition to a newer form of broadcasting in the future.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry Wilkins" <barry.barrywilkins@xxxxxxxxx>

Purely from an academic point of view, I would have thought all you
engineering types would always be keen to do up to date comparison
testing of what has historically been 2 distinctly different modulation
techniques.