[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:49:25 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> In absolute number of OTA only viewers, who has more,
> Australia or the US?

Until recently, probably Australia had more *DTT* users than the US,
although I don't know that for a fact. Absolute OTA users were certainly
more here, but most of those were analog only.

But, as you know, that's not how marketing works. Marketing is all about
hype. If only 15 percent of households watches OTA TV, there will be
very little promotion for an upgrade this OTA TV scheme.

If 75 percent of the households watches OTA TV, the DTT update will be
heavily promoted.

And still, in spite of it all, the price of HD boxes does follow
standard market forces. As manufacturers made more HD boxes or built-in
receivers, mostly for the US market, the price of the Aussie HD units
declined. Because many components are identical.

I still can't fathom why people find it so irresistable to attribute the
slow uptake of DTT here to "modulation." Is this an excuse to do
nothing? I just don't get it. If receivers work and are completely
affordable, if HDTV is in fact in heavy demand, if all new TV sets and
recorders have DTT buit-in, why not get excited and PROMOTE your wares,
already?