[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Ciril Kosorok" <kosorok@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:01:21 +1000

In Australian TV retail land, it's impossible to miss DVB-T products from name & no-name brand manufacturers at many different price points offering iDTV's, STB's and PVR's. This alone is sending a strong message to prospective consumers; Digital TV is here and you can buy with confidence.

Also, name brand suppliers are rapidly abandoning SD/HD STB's in favour of fully integrated SD/HD DTV products, which from a retailer perspective is a much easier sell. And all this without a tuner mandate!

Therefore, IMO, a robust modulation scheme is a pre-requisite to ensure market success. If DTV reception were crap, retailers would not carry DTV products and CE manufactures would not invest in DTV R&D, as angry customers are the last thing retailers & manufacturers want or need!!!

DTV engineers also understand very well the various DTV modulation schemes, their weaknesses and strengths. If the US modulation scheme was as good as many claim it to be, those same Australian suppliers would be over there 'like Flynn', plying their wares to US consumers even if only 10% of US households needed DTV OTA products, as this is still greater market than Australia's 7 million OTA households!

I'm currently in the process of building a Media Centre PC on which I will store our entire audio CD collection in WMA Lossless format. As part of this process I also need a family friendly media centre GUI and currently I'm evaluating MediaPortal; an open source program. What really caught my eye was its ATSC and DVB tuner card support; http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/Supported_TVCards . Number of supported DVB-T products = 80; ATSC = 14, and yes my DVB-T PCI card (Nebula) is on the list! Enough said.

Ciril Kosorok
Sydney - AUSTRALIA

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>