[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 02:47:00 -0400

Are you sure that those are new installed antennas in Italy or
antennas from analog days?

I disagree with your assessment that 8-VSB receivers were adequate 4.5
years ago. I don't  think they are anywhere near adequate today nor do
I expect them to be adequate at the transition.

Bob Miller

On 6/19/07, Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tom Barry wrote:

>But I was looking for anybody that was not switching between
>at least 2 antennas.

That's setting a pretty high bar, even for many in Europe. Although over
there, they tend to have the appropriate diplexers when multiple antennas
are required, rather than a switch or rotor.

I can show you on the DGTVi site how, in most locations, different DTT
multiplexes are at different azimuths, in Italy. As long as signal strength
is low, you'll see more than one antenna required to pick them all up. And
almost always, you'll note that the VHF antenna is a separate antenna, aimed
in a different direction, from the one (or more) UHF antenna(s).

John, early ATSC receivers were bad. I know. It's been 4+ years since those
days, and still broadcasters aren't promoting as I would expect them to.

Instead of saying "tomorrow at 9:00 PM on Frontline," you say that, and then
you add what else is showing at 9:00 PM or other times, on your multiplex.
So all analog OTA viewers know what they are missing. Surely, that would
attract viewers to DTT, especially since (I'm told) a relatively high
percentage of PBS viewers do use OTA TV.