[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:55:42 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> Are you sure that those are new installed antennas in
> Italy or antennas from analog days?

I'll give you three examples in Tuscany.

Let's go for the beautiful old town of Siena, up on a hill among
gorgeous vineyards.

http://www.dgtvi.it/dgtvi/copertura.aspx?TRS_ID=1550000&PROVID=81&CITYID
=6897&CS=1

There are at least three azimuths involved if you want all the
multiplexes. In this case, mostly horizontal polarization, although you
might need vertical for Channel 55, depending on your location.

Let's go due south of there, to the coast, to Orbetello. Here you have a
tall, picturesque mountain right on the coast (Monte Argentario), with a
bunch of translators on its peak. So you'd think piece of cake, right?

http://www.dgtvi.it/dgtvi/copertura.aspx?TRS_ID=1550000&PROVID=38&CITYID
=4779&CS=1

Not exactly. First problem is that even if you can use only the
Argentario translators, some multiplexes are vertically polarized and
others are horizontal. The other problem is that in some locations, you
will need to use a different translator, on a different peak, for the
Mediaset 1 multiplex. The coverage is not 100 percent from Monte
Argentario for some of these multiplexes. My guess is that the low ERP
is the problem.

Go north to Pisa (with leaning tower).

http://www.dgtvi.it/dgtvi/copertura.aspx?TRS_ID=1550000&PROVID=64&CITYID
=5283&CS=1

Here you have at least two azimuths to contend with, and maybe three.
All horizontal polarization.

In major cities, like Rome, you'll be able to go to one azimuth for all
stations. And again, when prefessionals install your antennas, as they
typically do, they know where to point them and they have the right
equipment. You aren't expected to figure this out on your own.

> I disagree with your assessment that 8-VSB receivers were
> adequate 4.5 years ago.

That may have been slightly exaggerated. The first 4th/5th gen chipsets
were in quantity production by 3rd quarter of 2003, which is a little
less than 4 years ago. The fact that these were not available in STBs,
but instead only in integrated sets, is a question for the CE
manufacturers, and the NAB that didn't kick their *sses.

It took from late 2003 to early 2007 to start seeing the first STBs on
store shelves that were beyond 3rd gen. That must set a record for CE
indifference.