[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 19:07:23 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Marketing the whiz-bang new DTT to a market that is 75 percent OTA is
different from marketing the whiz-bang new DTT to a market that is 85
percent connected to proprietary STBs anyway.

Marketing to 20 million households vs. marketing to 7 million households.

I do know that early on in the Digital Transition, there were many ATSC STBs available here. None of them performed sufficiently. I also know that there were many DVB-T STBs available in Australia. Most of them performed adequately.

I do know that many manufacturers got burned by offering early generation ATSC STBs. Apparently so much so that they are staying out of the market entirely.

I do not know of any DVB-T STB manufacturer to suffer a similar fate.

So regardless of what you might think, modulation has played a major factor in what product is available and where it is available.

For example, why not advertize, on the main analog channel, the
availablity of x, y, and z multicasts available via DTT (or cable and
DBS)? And which of these might be HD? PBS stations should be perfect for
this, since they tend to carry at least two streams, and sometimes four.
Why aren't your analog OTA customers informed of these other choices?

Broadcasters do, Bert. You ever notice the "Available in HD" at the beginning of most HD programs? Of course you have. You and I have also had conversations here over the past 7 years as to when the ATSC technology was good enough for you to buy in, or to recommend to your friends that they buy in. You made the plunge less than two years ago, as I recall. I don't recall anyone in Europe or Australia recommending that people not buy DVB-T STBs because the technology wasn't ready yet.

Again, modulation had everything to do with those decisions as well.

The only thing proven false are all the excuses about "modulation."

The only thing proven is the variety of STBs offered for sale in two different markets. The rest is speculation, and I think my speculation better matches the real world realities, while your speculations do not.

I know you don't work for the aircraft division, but look at the Boeing 787 vs. the Airbus A350. ATSC is the A350.

John