[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Barry Wilkins" <barry.barrywilkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:16:40 +1200

Purely from an academic point of view, I would have thought all you
engineering types would always be keen to do up to date comparison
testing of what has historically been 2 distinctly different modulation
techniques. How do you actually know where ATSC is compared to the latest
DVB-T receiver performance if it has not been tested recently. There could
be quite a gap or none at all. It would be a sad thing if we just "assumed"
that the theoretical or stated receiver specs implied actual performance in
the field.

As I recall, original assumptions about a theoretical 3dB advantage to ATSC
evaporated in real testing -then. Where are we now?

regards
Barry

On 6/22/07, Dale Kelly <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Another somewhat obtuse argument but I do agree that we have what we have
and there is no need to do further modulation comparison testing, we
simply
need to "get on with it".
However, the recent FCC tests do indicate that most available ATSC
receivers
do not meet the recommendations of the A74 RP and they further conclude
that
this RP is not good enough in the sensitivity and IM areas. With receivers
widely available that meet A74 we will likely be OK* in most applications
and had they been available in 1999, we would not have needed the first
comparison tests by Sinclair and would be much further down the road with
this transition.

* the repacking of the DTV band, which we all knew was coming, compounded
by
the likely authorization of unlicensed devices in that spectrum, will
render
A74 receivers to be Not Good Enough.