[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:46:34 -0400

Ah, but to be fair, Bert said HDTVs are 16:9 which is true.

The cheap CRTs are 480i, and the cheap LCDs are 480p. With very few exceptions, when you get to 720p native or higher, you also get a 16:9 format.

(Best Buy has a sale on a very interesting 19" 720p native LCD with a 16:10 screen for under $250, which includes an ATSC tuner. Insignia NS-LCD19)

I also noted that LG no longer offers STBs on their website. The closest you can come, which all in all isn't a bad deal at all, are two models of DVD recorder with built-in ATSC tuners, for a list price of $279 and $349. The latter includes a VHS recorder as well.

So things are starting to look up for the OTA equipment market. I'll be anxiously awaiting the outcome of the coupon-compliant STB proposals. My money says the Feds will give in and allow the $40 coupons to be used with any ATSC tuner equipped device, while at the same time narrowing the scope to self-certified OTA only homes. However, there aren't many ticks left on the Analog Cut Off clock...

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

NONE of the cheap CRT based displays with integrated receivers that i wrote about a few days ago are 16:9. And many of the small cheap LCD panels are 4:3 as well. But this is as i would expect, as the manufacturers try to wring out the last few dollars of profit from those old CRT plants.